and the Eden Valley line too became part of that larger system.
During the construction of the railway, in 1861, an act of Parliament was passed that would increase the importance of the Eden Valley Line.
The act allowed the raising a capital of £180,000, the appointed directors of the company include important figures from Westmoreland and Cumberland Construction of the 22 miles (35 km) line was contracted to Messrs.
Lawton Brothers of Newcastle, the turning of the sod ceremony took place on 4 August 1858 with Lord Brougham.
The river Eden was crossed once more at Skygarth viaduct which had four lattice girders each of whence the line ran roughly west to Cliburn railway station 1 km north of the village of Cliburn.